Sunday 8 December 2013

X Wing at Comics, Game 1

Good afternoon,

Well, here we go, my first X Wing Competition game - Imperials (Me),

  • Soontir Fel (TIE Interceptor)
  • Storm Squadron Pilot (TIE Advanced)
  • 4 Academy Pilots (TIE Fighters - #'d 1 to 4)

vs. Imperials (Zane).

  • Darth Vader (TIE Advanced)
  • Soontir Fel, with the Push the Limit upgrade (TIE Interceptor)
  • Mauler Mithal (TIE Fighter, Pilot Skill 7)
  • Dark Curse (TIE Fighter, Pilot Skill 6)

Straight up dogfight, no asteroids.

He set up [Galactic (New Zealand)] South...


I [Galactic (New Zealand)] North.

I thought his Soontir Fel more of a threat, so I sent off my own heavy hitters (Soontir and Sabre Sqn TIE A) to deal with him.


It was at this point when we both realised that the two Soontirs were indistinguishable on the board. (Zane put a stress marker on his)


The two TIE As had different pilot skill #s, and my TIEs all had identifying #s on a'top their bases. Or should that be o'top their bases?


And at this point, I realised that I have to be more careful when dialing my orders - I meant for Soontir to fly left...


But he came around, so to speak.



And then Dark Curse...


...dark cursed my Storm Squadron TIE A.


Curses.

Meanwhile my TIE swarm...


...were being quite ineffective.


Particularly ineffective.


Ok, completely useless!


Darth Vader soon after took care of my Soontir Fel.


And then it was down to my last remaining Academy Pilot. To say that I didn't hold out a lot of hope for a win from this game would have been a bit of an understatement.


Mauler Mithel soon took care of him.


And that was the game. I got a couple of hits, but not enough to even take out one of his ships.

I did learn to...

  • Take Push the Limit when taking Soontir Fel
  • Keep 'em together. The whole idea of taking a swarm was to have many guns pointing at the same thing. Splitting them up does not do this.

Still, Zane was a fun opponent and I thought I'd do better next time.

I did.

And didn't.

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment