Tuesday 17 April 2012

The Great Hawker Named-After-A-Weather-Event Aircraft Group Build

Good afternoon,

Subsequent to yesterday's post, and after a bit of a discussion with Paul, from Plastic Warriors, and Jack Sarge from Jack Sarge's Wargames Ramblings, we have decided to do a group build of a Hawker aircraft that was named after a weather event. Open to all and sundry.

The rules, such as they are, are...
  1. The model has to be a 1/72nd aircraft that the Hawker aircraft company named after a weather event. Specifically...

    • Fury (I'm sure that's another name of one of those water spout mini tornado things...right?)

    • Hurricane

    • Typhoon

    • Tornado

    • Tempest

    • Sea Fury

  2. You've got a month, starting the 1st of May

  3. And you've gotta share your progess, either on your own blog, or, well, one of ours - we'd be happy to post your work for you

Umm, so there you are.


I'm building an Airfix Typhoon 1B (a Bombphoon - alas, the kit doesn't have rockets...and before you ask, no, I'm not going to make any!), as is the Sarge. Paul's got an Airfix Tempest.

If anyone is interested, contact either Paul, Sarge or me by leaving a comment on our blogs.

Deadline for joining us is the 30th of April.

Cheers,

Nick

By the way, check out this bloke that's done something similar, in a grand, grand way!

13 comments:

  1. Great work I will cut and paste the major bits onto my blog.

    I might even grab a Hurricane as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Got me one of those here too...but I think I'll settle for the Typhoon for the time being!

      By the way Toy World Riccarton has got Mk 1s for under $10. Well they had yesterday...want that I should grab one for you?

      Nick

      Delete
    2. Cheers for the offer Nick, but I am sure Acorn has a sweet looking Mk IIc for the same price.

      I will send one of my minions over there...

      It is cool having minions!

      Delete
    3. No, they don't. I checked both - Acron is about $3 dearer normally, about $5 when you take Toy World's 30% discount into consideration...I would respectfully suggest send the minion to Riccarton first! :-)

      Delete
    4. http://www.acornmodels.co.nz/products/kitsets/academy/36873/

      Okay its not a classic Airfix kit, but I have heard its better than the Airfix jobbie.

      Tim Gow from Megablitz is in as well!

      Delete
    5. Excellent!

      Me, I'm all about the price! :-)

      Delete
  2. [quote]alas, the kit doesn't have rockets...[/quote]

    I didn't realise that, haven't really looked at it yet, hmmmmmmnnnn.......might look into this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you've got 'till the end of the month!

      Delete
  3. Damn !! I've got a Typhoon and a Tempest, both unmade but they're 1/144 scale :-(

    Anycase, sounds very interesting Nick, I look forward to seeing the progress on this and other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Mate! Tell you what, since double 72 makes 144 how's about you join us by making both?!

      Cheers,

      Nick

      Delete
  4. Hey, thanks Nick you're on, count me in then !

    I'll dig them out from the stash in the cellar over the weekend and see what kind of a state they're in and put something on the blog.

    Cheers,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Roll on the first of May!

      Cheers,

      Nick

      Delete
  5. Hi guys, I managed to get an Airfix Typhoon 1b, unfortunately couldn't find a Hurricane, so I'm in.
    Here's my blog if you want to follow.
    http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete