Thursday 19 April 2012

Finished Extras for Spearhead

Good morning,

Here is the culmination of my Term 1 holidays...



  • Two companies (three platoons each) of Kiwi/Brit infantry (+ Platoon Commanders when I want to use them for Crossfire)

  • One Platoon/Squad (depending on the rules!) of SMG armed assault infantry

  • One Platoon/Squad of engineers - the one with the flame thrower

  • One Forward Observer stand for...

  • One 25 Pounder with four [individually based] crew

  • One Quad tractor that I'll replace the gun with when the 25 Pounder is "limbered"

  • Four crew for the 6 Pounder that I made earlier

So...here are the grunts...



I especially like that second platoon/squad (Spear Head/Crossfire). Here you'll see one Caesar miniature (donated by Jack Sarge), one HaT Tank Rider (again, donated by the Sarge), and one Esci bod (sourced by Stan) all working together in harmony.

Actually, likewise this Engineer squad...



...and to a slightly lesser extent, the F/O. Another tank rider with an Esci radio operator.


Which makes a nice segue to the big gun itself, the 25 pounder...



...and it's primary mode of transportation, the Quad Artillery Tractor.




And just to prove that I painted the inside...



Cool! Having just put them away, I now realise that I need one more Company Commander element to use these extras as an understrength company for Crossfire. So...two more figs...how long might that take then?! I'd like to get them done before I drop all for The Great Hawker Named-After-A-Weather-Event Aircraft Group Build.

Nick

9 comments:

  1. Nice work Nick. Some lovely painting and basing.

    The Airfix Quad is a strange beast is it not?

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. This lot took me over a week of far too many hours sitting at the table - hence my baulking at the idea of pulling together a Typhoon in only a week!

      Yeah, the Quad is a bit strange, and gappy - it didn't fit together very well. Still, it's a fun wee model.

      Delete
  2. Damn nice work Nick, if you need some more 20mm Brits I think I have some metal ones lying around here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fran!

      Thanks for the kind offer, but, for the moment, I'm set.

      Thanks,

      Nick

      Delete
  3. Hey Sarge...I seemed to have wiped your comment, so, for the sake of completeness...here is a copy!


    Jacksarge has left a new comment on your post "Finished Extras for Spearhead":

    Well done Mr Nick,

    they turned out splendidly.

    Re the extra element, are you in need of any figures to finish it off? Easy to just shove 'em in a regular envelope and zip them over the Tasman.

    I know what you mean about some models taking ages to finish, particularly when you have to paint bits you know you can't get to with a brush once they're glued. Took me ages to finish my first Airfix QLD lorry(still got base & weathering to do).

    Cheers,

    Jacksarge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sarge,

      I'm pretty right for the CC element, cheers anyway.

      (And actually, it takes me ages to complete anything - these latest figs took a good three or four + hours a day for, what a week and a half!)

      I'm happy with them, and Robin is coming round tomorrow night for their first Spearhead game which is why I was getting 'em ready in the first place. Cool!

      Delete
  4. A very impressive collection there Nick. I really like the mix of figures you have used, very original work mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Al,

    Blogger is playing up, or something...anyway, here's what you posted.

    Al has left a new comment on your post "Finished Extras for Spearhead":

    A very impressive collection there Nick. I really like the mix of figures you have used, very original work mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Al, they're getting their baptism of fire tonight, Spearhead style!

      Delete