Wednesday 23 February 2011

Christchurch Earthquake

As those of you in New Zealand will know, we had a rather large earthquake yesterday. My family and I are fine and extremely lucky - we still have power and water. Many, very many, still do not have water, and maybe only half of the city has had power restored.

There are still some trapped in the rubble of the CBD, and yet more people have lost their homes, over and above those who lost their houses in the September 4th quake.

It happened at lunch time, just after I had sent most of the class outside - all of our kids were fine, but our grounds have suffered from the effects of liquefaction.

Please pray for those still trapped and those who have lost love ones,

Nick

9 comments:

  1. I am very glad that you and your family are safe. I hope that those missing are soon rescued. I know that the wonderful nation of New Zealand will find the strength to deal with this, as you always have in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all thinking of you and hope things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of you, your family and your students today and am very glad to hear that you're ok. The damage to your beautiful city just defies belief. My very best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Gordie,

    We're living in a bubble. We've got both water and electricity. Most don't.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear you and your family are all right Nick.

    Get in contact if there is something I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Paul. Short of repairing the waste water system, I can't think of anything off the top of my head...

    Cheers,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete