Tuesday 28 December 2010

Early Imperial Roman Knights

Good afternoon,

I have finally finished four more elements of mounted Early Imperial Romans. Three more elements of EIR Cv, and one element of Early Imperial Roman contariorum/catafractarii from post 100AD.


According to the DBM Army List Book 2, List 56...
A few alae of contarii/catafractarii were formed by Trajan and Hadrian. These did not have horse armour, but were armed with the long knotos, weilded in both hands unshielded.
And so, all I did was select three Praetorian Cav figures, cut out, or off, their sword or spear, give them an identical horse pose, and add a kontos from 1/32" brass rod cut to 5cm length.





As far as DBx is concerned, I can use it in a DBA Middle Imperial Roman army (the figures for which I have put aside - whether or not I'll ever get round to using them is another matter!), or in a DBM Early Imperial Roman army (of which I am allowed a maximum of two - if I ever have another game of DBM) or, far more likely, in my HOTT EIR army.

Now to get back to painting the Praetorian legionaries.

Nick

6 comments:

  1. Look very nice! Hope you had a good Christmas Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan. You too. Hope you're not getting too wet over the ditch.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, get back to your painting... don't give me excuses about slaviong over a hot paint brush, harden up man...more painting I say!!!!

    OH, and by the way, the figures look good..LOL

    Kind regards and merry Christmas

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you Robin. I think. Fancy a game?

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me want to paint my Romans. I bought boxes and boxes of Hat's Romans years ago, but I've moved on to the Dark Ages. I just wish Hat's guys were about 2mm taller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, go, you know you want to!

    Thanks for the comment, your Dark Age stuff is, quite frankly, brilliant.

    Your 'bigger' comment - is that referring to your Late Romans Heavy and 'Medium' infantry, and the height disparity thereof?

    Nick

    ReplyDelete